Tuesday, December 26, 2006

This Story brought to you by the letter S

I like Spider-Man.

There's reasons for this, whether superficial or psychological, such as my lack of male role models, and affinity for Spandex clad Superheroism at its finest. He taught me to try to do what is right, and to try and be responsible, and to never, ever give up.

But I like Spider-Man. There's a humanity to him. An everyman quality. He's a man that can Save the world, but still Struggle to pay the rent.

So this is my favorite Spider-Man Story.

In an ironic twist, it doesn't involve Super-villains, bank heists, or any measure of Saving the day.

Back in the late eighties/early nineties, in what will from now forward be referred to as Comic Book Reality, Spider-Man, in his Secret Identity of Peter Parker, married Miss Mary Jane Watson, Supermodel and actress. But as art imitates life, over the years the Parkers have had their Share of trouble.

Getting back to the point, my favorite Spider-Man Story doesn't involve a fight, or a trouncing, or even any Spider action. It was about two people: Peter and MJ.

See, they were separated, as MJ was having trouble dealing with the stresses that came from being a Superhero's wife. She had left New York, and was working on making a movie on the west coast. Peter missed her terribly, and upon prompting by his Aunt May, he hopped on a plane, flew west, and begged her for five minutes of her time.

Now, during this time there was the obligatory Super-hero fight that threatened once again his Spousal bliss, but it's what came after that that touched me.

When he finally got his five minutes, Peter asked for another chance. MJ hesitated, and said she didn't know, that there was a lot She had to think about.

So my hero made the Sacrifice. He nodded, and said "I love you. Take all the time you need. I will wait, as long as it takes. I'll wait for you until the Stars turn cold."

And that's my favorite Spider-Man Story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home